Sunday 22 January 2012

Lime Lattice Cookies

Another recipe from Mary Berry's Baking Bible this time it's "Lime Lattice Cookies" and to all intent and purpose it looks like it's going to be another delicate biscuit/cookie.  I am not doubling up on this recipe.





So this is what the mixture looks like!  A very simple mixture of sugar, butter, flour and lime zest.  When I brought it together I admit I did deviate from the recipe a little bit - the whole thing just wasn't binding together so I added a dessert spoon of tepid water and that seemed to bring it together enough that I could handle it without it crumbling.




I made 16 equal sized balls of dough (and one very small ball that I ate as a taster when it was baked).  Though the recipe instructed use of a skewer to make the lattice pattern the skewer I used was too thick so I ended up using the very end of a clean chopstick - that seemed to work to my satisfaction.




They didn't spread in the oven (but then they don't contain any egg).  After just 12 minutes they started to turn a pale golden colour and the kitchen started to smell of lime zest (very refreshing).  After 15 minutes I took them out of the oven and put them on a tray to cool, they were very soft, delicate and crumbly.




The finished article.  They are melt-in-the-mouth soft and have more of a scent of lime than a taste.  Hopefully they will like them at work.

2 comments:

  1. I made thes biscuits this morning. Didn't need to add any water. Flattened the balls of dough slightly before I made the lattice patter. They are delicious! Not sure there will be any left for my children though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An easy way to get the lattice pattern is to press a wire cooling rack onto the balls of dough, it also results in them becoming more biscuit shaped (see http://gwentbirding.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/cooky-puss.html for a photo).

    ReplyDelete